TOP 10 BEST POOL PUMP 2020 REVIEWS: Your Quick Guide
One of the most important considerations when setting up your swimming pool is the pool pump. The ‘heart’ of your pool’s circulatory system lies on the appropriate choice of the pump you made. The choice of pump you made will be determined by the type of pool you have, be it in-ground or above-ground. As SUMMER is fast approaching, it’s appropriate to put the pools in the best of conditions for everyone who is visiting the pool for relaxation or any other purposes to get the value for their money. Therefore, getting the best pump for your pool while minimizing both operational and maintenance costs should be the top-most priority of pool owners, which will inadvertently ensure a successful opening day for the year.
However, the task of getting the best pump for your pool requires a lot of considerations. The choice of getting the best pump that will consume less energy while working at optimum capacity would be a no brainer if you follow our quick guide to the Top 10 Best Pool 2020 Reviews. As mentioned earlier, the pump is the heart of your pool for sustainable clean, fresh or warm water. The function of the pump is similar to the function of the human heart in the blood circulatory system. The human heart ensures that oxygenated blood is pumped from the lungs to all parts of the body while deoxygenated blood is returned from the body to the lungs where exchange of gas takes place to expel carbon-dioxide and other wastes products from the body. The pump also functions in the same manner and ensures that unclean or contaminated water is pumped from the pool, passes through the filter and return back, renewed clean water to the pool. You would need to know how the pool pump functions, the different varieties and features available and their pros and cons before you can actually make the right choice for your pool.
The Pool Pump
The pool pump consists essentially of 5 major components that does the circulatory system in the pool to ensure safe and clean pool water.
The Water Inlet: This is the part where ‘unclean’ water from the pool enters the pump. This inlet is of various diameters and determines the flow rate of the pump. The bigger the diameter, the higher the flow rate and vice versa.
The Water Outlet: This component facilitates the outflow of renewed water from the pump after filtration before the water is returned back to the pool.
The Filter: The removal of debris and other waste substances from the pool takes place at the filter, without which the water will remain unclean.
The Impeller: Propelling the clean and renewed water out of the pump through the water outlet is only made possible by the spinning of the impeller. There is a special lint and hair trap, fitted with a basket that is located at the rear of the pump to prevent debris from clogging the impeller assembly for maximum performances. It’s advisable as a routine maintenance to empty this basket and keep it clean on a regular basis depending on pump usage.
The Motor: Spinning of the impeller is made possible only by the action of the electric motor. It essentially helps the propelling of clean water out of the pump and the sucking of unclean water into the pump. The pump will not function at all without the motor, which comes with various speeds, ranging from single, dual, to variable speeds motors.
- The chlorine demands and energy consumption for your pool are higher during the daytime hours than at night hours. While energy consumption at night hours is lower in some places but maintaining the chlorine concentration at the minimum required level of 3.0 ppm during the daytime hours would be a huge demand.
- Exigencies demands that the minimum operational hours for your pump should not be less than 4 hours per day as that is the minimum hours it will take for all the water in the pool to pass through the filter for at least once and return back to the pool.
- So, when and how long to run your pump is a personal consideration depending on the season and demands.
- It’s recommended to consider variable speed pump for large swimming pool which allows you to have control over the speed
- For single speed pump, they are always set to high and consumes a lot of energy while dual speed pumps can be set to either high or low which also allows for some control.
The Top 10 Best Pool Pump 2020
After a thorough and careful research on the available pool pumps in the market today, here is our Top 10 Best Pool Pumps 2020 experts’ rating:
- Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
- Sand filter with 6-function control valve which allows for filtration, backwashing, recirculation, rinsing, draining, and closing the system
- The 24-hr in-built timer automates the filtration and cleaning process to give a “hassle free” experience
- Flow rate of 3000 gallons per hour which makes it ideal for above ground pools that are 16’ and above
- Lowest maintenance and most efficient sand filter pump for above ground pool.
- Not that quiet like many others
- Quite expensive
Sand filter is a popular choice for keeping the pool safe and clean. It has the natural ability to pick up dirt and algae that floats on top of the pool water. With the Intex Crystal clear Sand Filter Pump, you can’t be wrong to have made the right choice for above-the-grand pools that are 16’ and above. It operates at an efficiency of 75% and a capacity of 0.59HP. The only maintenance that is virtually required is replacing the sand once in every 5 years.
2. Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump
- With a see-through strainer to provide a better view and indication of when basket needs cleaning
- Easy to remove strainer cover by its swing aside hand knobs
- Can access internal components for servicing by simply unfixing 4-bolts
- Corrosion-proof parts to provide long life and durability
- Higher leaves holding capacity (100 – 110-inch basket) is provided to reduce frequent cleaning
- Very reliable with an efficient motor and an impeller which provides higher flow rate with lesser energy consumption
- Powerful suction lift that can lifts 10ft above water level
- Expensive for some series
The Hayward Super pumps comes in different series and specifically designed for in-ground pools and spas of various sizes. The pump has the capacity to handle heavy debris load, guaranteed by its solid construction and load extender ribbing. It’s highly reliable and consumes lesser energy because of its highly efficient motor (1HP) and impeller that provides higher flow rates.
The pump is a good bet for in-ground pools and spas. Though relatively expensive, it combines cost effectiveness and durability perfectly well.
3. Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump
- A superior high-performance design that provides energy savings up to 90 percent
- Highly rated low noise device with quieter operations (as low as 45 decibels)
- With a built-in timer that ensures optimum time efficiency and savings
- The eight programmable settings provide the optimum speed for maximum efficiency
- Compactible with the following features: SunTouch, EasyTouch, IntelliTouch, and Pool Control System
- Magnetic motor with less vibrations as against many with induction motors
- A little quite expensive
The superior engineering design of the Pentair IntelliFlo Pump is highly durable and suitable for in-ground pools. Its built-in diagnostics features help to protect the pump and extend its service life. Because of its ability to save up to 90 percent energy cost as well as its reliability, it’s the best bet for many in-ground pool owners.
- Pentair SuperFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump
- Heavy duty motor with low pitch sound that provides good suction capacity for efficient performance
- A real-time clock with memory retention of up to 24-hours as well as an advanced onboard digital interface for easy operation
- Virtually, no rewiring is required as it can run on either 230V or 115V mains
- Easy installation
- A little expensive
- Occasionally turns louder
The Pentair SuperFlo Variable Speed Pump is very easy to install and cost less to operate because of its variable speed technology. The pump operates on three operating speeds with an override capability. To prevent dripping, it does not require any form of adjustment and produces good suction capacity.
- Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter
- Comes with a 2,500 GPH Filter Cartridge which facilitates easy use and can handle large pools
- Easy to install
- Comes with double insulated pipes and an auto timer which can be preset to 2 – 12 hours operational cycles
- Built-in air release for trapped air inside the filter chamber
- Comes with one extra replaceable filter cartridge for easy cleaning
- Extra cost to purchase additional fittings and hoses for larger pools
- Cartridge needs replacement twice every month on the average
This Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump is designed for above-the-ground pools and ensures that the water in your pool stays refreshed and Krystal clear all season, especially during summer. It comes with one Hydro Aeration Technology inlet fitting, with a built-in air release valve and a sediment flush valve.
This pool pump is most appropriate and suitable for swimming pools with 18 feet of diameter or length.
- WAYNE Automatic Water Removal Pump
- Pumps up to 3000 GPH via a 1 ¼” drain hose
- Comes with a check valve with a ¾” garden hose adapter to reduce repetitive cycling
- Built-in debris and freeze protection that aids in protecting the pump from damage
- The High Flow oil-free motor makes it efficient in energy consumption
- Relatively expensive
Thisefficient WAYNE Automatic Water Removal Pool Cover Pump is very durable, has the capacity to remove 3000 gallons per hour via a 1 ¼” drain hose and easy to handle. Its automatic on/off iswitch technology makes it very efficient and smooth to operate. The check-in- valve within with a ¾” garden hose adapter helps to prevent repetitive cycling.
Its 25 ft power cord and 25 ft “pull to shore” rope helps to position the pump on the pool cover so as to provide wider coverage to the pool. The pump is also provided with filters and strainers to prevent tripping and clogging. With the Wayne Automatic Water Removal Pool Cover Pump, excess water and debris that could cause your cover to rip are taken care of automatically and you will be grateful you made the right choice to have one.
- Pentair SuperFlo Single Speed Pool Pump
- A 56 sq flanged heavy duty motor for efficient performance
- A large strainer basket provided for collection of large quantities of debris to limit cleaning frequencies
- Self-priming for quick and easy startup
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Not so energy efficient
- Get noisier with age
This Pentair SuperFlo Single Speed Pool Pump is a complete equipment with all the necessary features for your pool and spa. Its super quiet when new, very easy to maintain but gets noisier with age. The pump is self-priming, very affordable and efficient, receiving its power from the heavy-duty motor.
The internal flow design with the motor having access to sufficient ventilation makes the pump super quiet. With the provision of a strainer basket that is abundance in size, it collects a large amount of debris conveniently which helps to impact on the running time. Its see-through lid provides quick and easy inspection. This pump is not very energy efficient.
- Harris ProForce Above-Ground Pool Pump
- Long durability and high performing pump
- Comes with minimal noise
- Large filter basket with a see-through makes it easy to clean during maintenance
- Pricing slightly higher comparatively
- Not approved for portable pools
Harris ProForce strainer is a heavy-duty corrosion free pump with a stainless-steel motor shaft and casing. The quieter operations, its high efficiency and longer life are made possible owing to its advanced engineering. The pump is also self-primed with the ability to suction lift up to 8 feet above the water line.
To facilitate a free-flowing operation, the Harris ProForce strainer is provided with a larger basket to collect large amount of debris. With its see-through cover, a quick check is made possible on the cleaning of the basket. This pump meets all the ETL and CSA requirements but not recommended for portable pools.
- Hayward SP15932S PowerFlo Matrix Pool Pump
- Requires minimal maintenance
- Heavy duty motor with integrated thermal overload protector
- Large industrial size strainer basket for collection of large amount of debris
- High performing impeller to prevent clogging of motor by debris and leaves
- Vertical to Horizontal discharge orientation can be easily achieved with the press of a single button
- Energy efficient
- Good built quality but not too impressive
This Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 1.5 HP Pool Pump is a superior high performing and energy efficient pump that is available for both above-ground and in-ground pools. Its industrial size strainer basket for collection of large amount of debris makes it very popular. The heavy-duty motor gives it an added advantage to operate for many years with an integrated automatic thermal overload protector.
It’s a dual speed motor and requires minimal maintenance. Although it is a high-quality pump but very attractive in design.
10. Hayward MaxFlo Pool Pump
- Super energy efficient because of its variable speed
- Extra-large basket for debris and leaves collection that guarantees extended times between cleanings
- Built-in time clock as against countdown time to make programming easier
- A permanent magnet TEFC motor for improved reliability and efficiency
- Highly efficient pump with quiet operations
- Quite expensive
Although this Hayward MaxFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump is relatively expensive compared to other brands, the cost is compensated by its energy efficiency. The pump is also Energy Star Certified and Compliant with industry regulations such as APSP 15 and Title 20 which makes owners eligible for local rebates with utility companies. Because of its variable speed capability, it can change speeds while running for 7 hours a day, which helps to lower your energy bill.
The pump can easily be programmed with its digital control interface according to your needs. Its built-in-time clock makes programming very easy as against the basic countdown timers. The industry size extra-large strainer basket guarantees large collection of debris and leaves while extending times between cleanings. The TEFC motor enhances the performances of the pump.
Recommended Tips to Selecting The Right Pool Pump:
Every pool pumps available in the market today is useful for a particular pool but getting the right one for your pool requires a lot of painstaking efforts. Whether what you have is an in-ground or above the ground swimming pool, we have done the research for you. All that is required is for you to follow our quick guide to select the right pump for your pool and you will be glad you did.
- For a small above ground pool, it is recommended that you get the medium size high quality pool pump. However, for a large in-ground pool, a more robust high-quality pump is recommended
- For a pool that will be open for business all year round and energy conservation is important, our recommendation is the Variable Speed Pool Pump. We can conveniently recommend the Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed High-Performance Pool Pump.
- If you are more concerned about long-term performances, our recommendation is for a self-priming pump with a preset filter.
- It is very important as well to consider the operational noise of the pump if it’s to be installed near the pool.
- For pool filter pumps (cartridge or sand filter), make sure that the filter is compatible with your pump flow rate. The Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools is highly recommended.
- If you are relying on salt to disinfect your pool, be sure that your pump can handle saltwater efficiently
- Note that any change in your pool type will lead to the relocation of your pool filter. A top-mounted pump is recommended for above-the ground pool. If both the filter and pump are on the same level, a side-mount pump is recommended.
Getting your swimming pool always ready is not always an easy task if you do not have the appropriate pool pump for your pool, be it in-ground or above-ground pool. During the SUMMER, the pool will be highly demanding but with the right pool pumps such as the ones we have selected for you in this quick guide, you can be rest assured of your visitors’ satisfaction. If you follow our quick guide, you will have no regret for your investment.