The 4 Best Heat Pump Pool Heater 2020 – Expert Reviews
Your pool needs a Heat Pump to keep it warm and swimmable but how do you identify the best swimming pool pump heaters? Which cost-effective heat pump pool heaters work almost as well as natural gas and electric heat pumps?
The best heat pump pool heater costs a fortune upfront, so you would need to be well guided when picking one for your swimming pool.
1. Hayward HP21404T HeatPro Titanium 140,000 BTU Pool Heat Pump – Super Best
- Fast heating (140,000 BTU)
- Corrosion-resistant evaporator fin
- Stainless steel hardware
- Titanium heat exchanger
- Plastic screen to protect the evaporator coil
- Profiled fan blade and acoustic compressor cover
With the Hayward HP21404T HeatPro Titanium humongous 140,000 BTU capacity, the pump is able to heat your pool much faster than other competitors and you do not have to heat your pool overnight to be able to use it in the morning hours or heat it longer hours during the springs. While many pool owners are concerned about the noise their heat pump generates, this model comes with an acoustic compressor cover and profiled fan blade, that results in a heat pump which runs very quietly.
This model HP21404T has injection molded body panels that adds to its durability. It also has an evaporator fin that is corrosion-resistant, which makes this model a great choice for those living in coastal regions with salty air. So, this pump is highly recommended for those who lives in the Savannah, Georgia, Houston, Texas or those areas known for their humid summers.
Its plastic screen also helps to protect the evaporator coil from the same corrosive effects of salty air or high humidity thereby adding to its efficiency and durability. It also comes with a titanium heat exchanger that makes it suitable for both salt water and fresh water pools. Our only reservation about this heat pump is its massive size, that’s if you do not have enough space to accommodate it and the high upfront cost. We highly recommend it for large pools.
2. Pentair 460930 UltraTemp 90 High Performance Pool Heat Pump
- Highly efficient
- Super quiet
- LCD display
- Titanium heat exchanger
- Automatic freeze protection
- Unable to cool pool water
- Not cheap
The Pentair 460930 UltraTemp 90 High-Performance Pool Heat Pump provides the efficiency, reliability, and convenience pool owners expect from a premium heat pump with an easy to read LCD display. Its titanium heat exchanger is similar to the Hayward heat pumps for swimming pools and has an automatic defrost feature for preventing freezing, making this the best pool heat pump for climates where it gets to below 50°F at night while there is still water in it.
The Copeland scroll pump runs quietly unlike its contemporaries and its highly efficient. Its warranty is unimaginable, providing 10 years and lifetime warranties on the compressor and heat exchanger respectively. Our only reservations is its inability to cool pool water like other heat pumps.
3. Raypak 013331 133000 BTU Titanium Digital Heat Pump, Model R8350TIE
- Works with any remote control system
- 4 ports configurations
- Easy installation
- Sound-dampening tech (quiet operations)
- Average energy efficiency
This R8350TIE model from Raypak is so flexible that it works with any remote control system, even existing old ones. This model comes with 4 ports based configuration and so easy to install such that it also works with any plumbing arrangements.
The sound-dampening technology of this pump is made of a Copeland scroll compressor which ensures a very quiet operations when compared to others. So, if you’re irritated by the noise from most heat pumps, then this pump is a very good buy.
Its resistance to corrosion is just a little above average because of the marine grade nickel used in the heat exchanger. The energy efficiency is also on the average, which isn’t much of a problem.
4. Hayward HP50TA 50,000 BTU Residential Pool Heat Pump
- Sound-dampening tech
- Corrosion-resistant design
- Highly efficient
- Titanium heat exchanger
- Great price
- Quality control issues
One of the most amazing heat pump available in the market today, when you talk about price and efficiency is the HP50TA Residential Pool Heat Pump from Hayward. You can’t be wrong with this pump whether you’re running a salt water pool or fresh water pool because of its titanium core. The efficiency increases as the air temperature rises. The heat pump can keep your pool warm all night and able to warm your pool by over 20 degrees. With just 50,000 BTU, the pump is capable of heating a 15,000-gallons of pool water to 85 degrees in just a couple of days.
This pump also has a sound-dampening technology – profiled fan blade and compressor cover – which keeps the sound to a minimum. You can be rest assured of listening to your favorite music while the pump is running.
The major downside to this pump is the occasional leakages experienced through the joints and the poor after-sales services.
There is always a heat pump for every pool type. However, before buying one for your pool, we strongly recommend you consider the following very important considerations:
- Efficiency: This is of course, the most important consideration when thinking of purchasing a heat pump for your pool. You needn’t be a geek in pool ‘engineering’ to know what’s actually good for your pool. The initial cost of acquiring an efficient premium heat pump may not be that friendly, but the overall cost would definitely compensate for it on the long run. Even if the purchase price might cost you a fortune upfront, it worth’s investing in
- Budget: While the initial purchase price is a very important consideration when contemplating buying a heat pump, the overall cost, ranging from purchase and installation to maintenance and repairs is most important, beside efficiency. Therefore, before buying one for your pool, we strongly recommend considering all of these parameters
- Heat Exchanger: You should seriously consider the material your heat exchanger is made of. While solar pool heaters generate their own heat, a heat pump don’t. A heat pump will capture the heat from the condenser and transfer it to the pool water. Titanium-made heat exchangers are more durable, efficient, and corrosion-resistant units than the traditional copper-made heat exchangers.
- Compressor: The compressor units help to condense refrigerant into hot gas, which is in-turn used to heat the pool water via the heat exchanger. Compressors are of two types – Scroll and reciprocating.
Scroll compressors are much more energy-efficient, have fewer moving parts, more quiet, durable, and less expensive to operate in the long run than the traditional reciprocating counterparts
- Warranty: Do you care about warranty? Valid warranty will help you to save money by minimizing repair costs. It can also help to extend the service life of your machine because of the qualified professionals who takes charge.